All members of the East Midlands Staffordshire Bull Terrier Club undertake to abide by its general Code of Ethics.
- Will properly house, feed, water and exercise all dogs under their careand arrange appropriate veterinary attention if and when required
- Will agree without reservation that any veterinary surgeon performing an operation on any of their dogs which alters the natural conformation of the animal, may report such operation to the Kennel Club.
- Will agree that no healthy puppy will be culled. Puppies which may not conform to the Breed Standard should be placed in suitable homes.
- Will abide by all aspects of the Animal Welfare Act
- Will not create demand for, nor supply puppies that have been docked illegally.
- Will agree not to breed from a dog or bitch which could be in any way harmful to the dog or to the breed.
- Will not allow any of their dogs to roam at large or to cause a nuisance to neighbours or those carrying out official duties.
- Will ensure that their dogs wear properly tagged collars and will be kept leashed or under effective control when away from home.
- Will clean up after their dogs in public places or anywhere their dogs are being exhibited.
- Will only sell dogs where there is a reasonable expectation of a happy and healthy life and will help with the re-homing of a dog if the initial circumstances change.
- Will supply written details of all dietary requirements and give guidance concerning responsible ownership when placing dogs in a new home.
- Will ensure that all relevant Kennel Club documents are provided to the new owner when selling or transferring a dog, and will agree, in writing, to forward any relevant documents at the earliest opportunity if not immediately available.
- Will not sell any dog to commercial dog wholesales, retail pet dealers or directly or indirectly allow dogs to be given as a prize or donation in a competition of any kind. Will not sell by sale or auction Kennel Club registration certificates as stand alone items (not accompanying a dog).
- Will not knowingly misrepresent the characteristics of the breed nor falsely advertise dogs nor mislead any person regarding the health or quality of a dog.
Breach of these provisions may result in expulsion from club membership, and/or disciplinary action by the Kennel Club and/or reporting to the relevant authorities for legal action, as appropriate.
In addition, EMSBTC members will specifically:
- Agree that when breeding dogs, they will adopt as a minimum standard the principles, requirements and recommendations as embodied in the Kennel Club’s Assured Breeder Scheme. It is strongly recommended that members who breed should apply to join the Scheme.
- Undertake to test all breeding stock for genetic DNA tests currently available, ie HC, L2-HGA and PHPV/PPSC under a Kennel Club approved eye testing scheme whose results are published.
- Agree that when mating a bitch they ascertain that a stud dog is Kennel Club registered and has also been tested for HC, L2-HGA and for PHPV/PPSC
- Agree not to breed from a bitch before her second season or after her seventh birthday without first obtaining veterinary advice.
- Agree that a bitch shall have no more than three litters except in special circumstances and following veterinary advice.
- Stud dog owners shall satisfy themselves as far as possible that any bitch brought for mating is Kennel Club registered, fit to be bred from and has been tested for HC, L2-HGA – and for PHPV/PPSC
- Agree, when breeding, to strive to produce stock which is sound and typical, of good temperament and which conforms to the breed standard.
- Agree to behave at all times in an appropriate manner to ensure that the Staffordshire Bull Terrier and people associated with the breed are seen to be responsible in the eyes of other people, whether or not they own dogs.
- Show respect and consideration to other people – whether exhibitors, judges, officials or members of the general public – when attending shows in whatever capacity and conduct themselves in the true sportsmanlike manner associated with the breed.